Understanding the Importance of Technical SEO
One of those aspects is technical SEO – and if you want your website to scale search engine rankings, you need to understand its importance.
What is Technical SEO?
To put it simply, technical SEO involves optimizing your website and server so that search engines are able to crawl, index, and rank it more effectively. In other words, it acts as a foundation for all of the rest of your SEO.
The scope of technical SEO is quite wide. It includes areas such as page speed, crawling, indexing, status codes, site structure, mobile-friendliness, SSL, structured data, canonicalization, and more.
Ideally, technical SEO is something that you should start to implement while you’re building your website. If you wait till later some issues may become more deeply entrenched and could require several SEO audits to identify and fix them.
More importantly, if you don’t prioritize your technical SEO right from the get-go it could result in indexing and ranking issues due to the important role that it plays.
Why is Technical SEO So Important?
Frankly speaking, technical SEO is so important that it should be viewed as an absolute necessity. If you ignore it, you risk everything else that you do to improve your website’s SEO falling apart.
Some of the main reasons why technical SEO is so important are because of it:
- Allows pages on your website to be indexed faster by helping search engine bots crawl them more easily. That is accomplished by adding XML sitemaps, optimizing the internal link structure, and using the robots.txt file.
- Improves the website speed by minifying code, optimizing images, or using content delivery networks and caching solutions. Not only can this improve search engine rankings, but it will also improve the user experience for visitors.
- Avoids dead links that can be frustrating for both visitors as well as search engines. Dead links can be tracked down and removed, or URL redirects can be used to direct visitors to a replacement page.
- Enhances listings on search engines and other platforms by using markup such as meta tags, structured data, open graphs, and so on. By improving the appearance of your listing on search engines, you will be able to attract more clicks.
- Prevents ‘duplicate’ content issues when more than one page has similar content. Adding canonical link elements can let search engines know which is the ‘original’ page so that they rank it accordingly.
Ultimately all of these factors will help ensure that search engines properly crawl, index, and list your website – and that it gets the ranking it deserves.
By that same token if your website’s technical SEO isn’t up to scratch you may find that it causes issues that drag down its rank.
By this point, you should have a good understanding of technical SEO and why it is important. Since that’s the case, the next step should be clear as well: Start to improve your website’s technical SEO from the ground up.
Make no mistake, there are a lot of ways that you can improve the technical SEO of your website – and it may seem a little daunting at first. The good news is that there are many tools that can help you out, or you may even want to consider hiring a professional to handle it on your behalf.
Interested in Learning More? Let's Talk.
Whether you are looking for a simple text change, want to migrate your website to a secured server, looking for a new website or interested in a little help with social marketing I would love to help.
Located in Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Business: (608) 213-8293
Email: [email protected]